West Ham vs Sheffield United predictions for this Premier League clash in London. Can Sheffield United bounce back after last week’s 8-0 thrashing at the hands of Newcastle or it will be more misery for the Blades? Read on for all our free predictions and betting tips.
Match Live Saturday, 30th September at 3:00 pm In:
West Ham United vs Sheffield United Predictions
£20 Returns £38
Odds corrects at time of posting and subject to change
Blades Seek Redemption Amid Irons’ Rise
– Sheffield United have only two away victories since March 2020.
– James Ward-Prowse boasts an impressive BettingTips4You Expert Rating of 7.62.
As the Premier League progresses into its seventh gameweek, Sheffield United, still hungry for their first win, are set to square off against West Ham United at the iconic London Stadium.
Recent Form: A Tale of Two Teams
The Irons managed to edge past Lincoln City in a tight 1-0 affair during the midweek EFL Cup. A stubborn Lincoln side, previously responsible for Sheffield United’s EFL Cup exit, was resilient until Tomas Soucek made a vital breakthrough with only 20 minutes to spare. The Europa Conference League victors now have a challenging encounter with London adversaries, Arsenal, on the horizon.
18+ New customers only. Opt in, and bet £10 on football markets (odds 2.00+). No cash out. Get 6x£5 football free bets at specified odds for set markets, which expire after 7 days. Offer valid from 12:00 UK Time on 25/08/2023. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsibly. #Ad. 18+Only, begambleaware.org
West Ham’s 2022-23 journey has seen them balance out Premier League hiccups with stellar knockout stage performances. The club witnessed a heart-wrenching decline, dropping to seventh place after a promising start. Though they managed to score in all of their competitive matches this season, Sheffield United fans might flinch at the number eight, an unfortunate reminder of their shocking 8-0 defeat to Newcastle.
On the other side, Sheffield’s morale has plummeted. The Magpies’ eight goals, all from distinct players, and an unresponsive Bramall Lane audience, have left Sheffield at the base of the Premier League standings. The weight of this historic loss coupled with their earlier exit from the EFL Cup has left head coach Paul Heckingbottom under immense scrutiny.
Interestingly, Sheffield’s away record paints a grim picture. Since the pandemic-induced shutdown in March 2020, they’ve clinched just two away victories in the Premier League. A glance back at the 2020-21 season offers no solace either, as West Ham emerged triumphant in both their encounters.
Key Players & Team News
West Ham’s lineup witnessed numerous rotations during their EFL Cup face-off with Lincoln. Notably, Aaron Cresswell’s hamstring injury remains a concern, with Emerson Palmieri potentially replacing him. The likes of James Ward-Prowse and Jarrod Bowen were rested during the midweek, while Mohammed Kudus eagerly awaits his Premier League starting debut.
In contrast, Sheffield United’s medical staff remains preoccupied with a slew of injuries. Players like Max Lowe and John Fleck remain sidelined, while Oli McBurnie’s return from suspension offers a glimmer of hope.
Team Performance Analysis
West Ham United: The Hammers, boasting an average BettingTips4You Expert Rating of 7.01, stand 9th in the Premier League. They’ve been prolific upfront, netting 11 goals in six matches. Defensively, however, they’ve been leaky, with 10 goals conceded. Their ball possession stands at a mere 35.3%, and their saving grace has been their ability to recover the ball, averaging 55.7 recoveries per game.
Sheffield United: The Blades, unfortunately, are at the bottom with an average BettingTips4You Expert Rating of 6.67. Offensively, they’ve struggled, scoring only 0.8 goals per match. Their defensive frailties are evident with a whopping 17 goals conceded in six games. Ball possession is marginally better than the Hammers at 36.7%, but they’ve lost possession more frequently.
1. Match Outcome: West Ham Victory With Sheffield United still seeking their initial Premier League victory and West Ham displaying a stronger form overall, the momentum seems to be with the Irons. West Ham have recorded their first clean sheet of the season in the midweek and have scored in every competitive game they’ve participated in this season. Contrastingly, Sheffield’s morale may be at a low after the devastating 8-0 loss against Newcastle. Their away form also reveals a weak spot, having won only two Premier League away games since March 2020. Taking these factors into account, a West Ham victory seems to be the logical prediction.
2. Correct Score Prediction: 3-1 in favour of West Ham Historically, West Ham have had the upper hand in their recent encounters with Sheffield. In the 2020-21 season, the Hammers triumphed in both fixtures, winning 1-0 at Bramall Lane and 3-0 at the London Stadium. When examining recent form, West Ham have managed to score multiple times in several games, and Sheffield’s defence has been vulnerable, conceding a hefty 17 goals in just 6 matches. While Sheffield might find a consolation goal, given the potential return of striker Oli McBurnie, West Ham’s attacking prowess suggests they could net thrice.
3. Goalscorer Prediction: Michail Antonio Michail Antonio stands out as a potential goalscorer for West Ham. Historically, Antonio has been among West Ham’s most consistent and dangerous forwards. Antonio’s track record and his expected participation in the match makes him a favourite to find the back of the net. The weakened state of Sheffield’s defence, having recently conceded eight goals in a single match, also aids in this prediction.
4. Corner Prediction: West Ham to have more corners with a total of 8 in the game Analysing the data provided, West Ham have averaged 4.2 corners per game, while Sheffield United have averaged 3.5. Given that West Ham are likely to be on the offensive for most parts of the game, especially when playing at home, they should edge out Sheffield in terms of corners won. When combined, a total of 8 corners in the match (5 for West Ham and 3 for Sheffield) seems a reasonable expectation. Furthermore, considering West Ham’s aggressive playstyle, which will probably be amplified by Sheffield’s recent defensive woes, the Hammers are likely to push forward more frequently, resulting in more corner opportunities.
£20 Returns £38
Odds corrects at time of posting and subject to change
Top UK Bookies & Best Sign Up Offers
Open Account Offer – Bet £10 & Get £30 in Free Bets for new customers at bet365.
Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Registration required. Time limits and T&Cs apply. #Ad. 18+Only, begambleaware.org
18+ New customers only. Opt in, bet £10 at odds 2.00+ within 7 days, no cashout. Get 6x £5 Free Bets, set events at odds 2.00+. 7 day bonus expiry. Debit Card / Apple Pay payments only. #AD T&C’s Apply. 18+ | BeGambleAware | #Ad | #Ad. 18+Only, begambleaware.org
#AD 18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first sports bet loses. Wagering requirements: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Unless forfeited the sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. Visit Unibet.co.uk for full T&C's.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter For Exclusive Tips
Want to have exclusive tips from experts tipsters delivered right into your inbox? Subscribe Now To Our Newsletter. We will never spam, we fully respect your privacy!